Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Exchanging Pleasantries

The past few days have been so pleasant. Not fun, although there have been fun times, and not exciting, even though a few things have excited me, but pleasant. And this was precisely what I needed coming into this week.

When days are fun and exciting, its great, but that quickly becomes exhausting. I've been exhausted for a while. I was ready to try for restored. So on Monday, we had some time for reflection after our weekly meeting with Jared, and I went down to lower Manhattan and caught the ferry out to Staten Island. I love water, and boats, and while a ferry isn't exactly the same thing as a boat, and the East River isn't very pristine, it was still an excellent ride. I could go into all these descriptions of things I felt, saw, and experienced, but it would come out sounding cheesy to you, and I don't want to cheapen it. Let it suffice to say that I felt like a true and whole individual, glad to be where I was, but ready to reach land again.

Yesterday, on our day off, Clarissa and I went to the Bronx Zoo, which is supposed to be the best zoo in New York City. It was beautiful, and there was a new exhibit which opened recently: Madagascar! There were lemurs, fossas, and... Madagascarian hissing roaches! Oh heck no. They were disgusting. I avoided those and spent most of my time with the lemurs. After a few hours there, we left for Manhattan to meet up with a group of our friends in Central Park. The New York Philharmonic was playing their second free concert in the park. This is a truly New York experience, a summer tradition, that attracts thousands of people and packs out the Great Lawn. We had a huge spread of blankets, and all the wine and cheese we could desire. The best part about the night: one woman I had a conversation with asked me how I was enjoying my time in New York. Of course, I said that I loved it, that I could certainly see myself living here for some time. She replied that I already seem like I do.

I'm not sure what God is doing in my life, or where he is leading me. In fact, these past few weeks I've been faced with a great amount of doubt and questions, and I've wondered where God has been and what the heck has been going on. But these past few days have convinced me that he is moving slowly and steadily, which is... pleasant.

No comments: