Monday, June 2, 2008

No luggage? Oh no!

So my flight went fine, praise God! Upon arrival in NYC, however, I discovered that my luggage had been "delayed."

There are two possibilities concerning this incident:
1.) A spiritual attack. Instead of enjoying my first day here, I was stressed about whether or not I would ever see my suitcase, or rather, the stuff inside it, again. It was so difficult to participate in all of the conversation without allowing myself to be totally distracted. I was so excited and ready to take on whatever the city had to offer with confidence, but suddenly I was feeling severely unsettled and lost. It is intimidating to be facing an entirely new city and culture without the simplest of familiar possessions.
2.) A spiritual lesson. I felt like God was putting me in a place where I had no choice but to accept hospitality, a truly humbling position to be in. He could also be teaching me how little value material possessions have. They can be replaced. After all, He takes such good care of the lilies of the field. Surely, He will keep me clothed. And it is also possible that He is teaching me that I am truly lovely, and worthy of love, in my most vulnerable state, without my own clothing, makeup, or hair products to make me feel comfortable.

I believe that both of these possibilities go hand-in-hand. God taught me a lesson (a few, actually) through a spiritual attack. I woke up this morning after a good night's sleep, feeling much better, and read through Matthew 6:25-34 a few times. "So don't worry about having enough food or drink or clothing... Your heavenly Father already knows all your needs, and he will give you all you need from day to day if you live for him and make the Kingdom of God your primary concern." God takes care of his children.

And at 7:00 this evening, I finally got my suitcase. Happy!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This incident is just another character building block that God sometimes uses.

Love You! Daddy

Mark said...

glad to hear you found your suitcase!

Anonymous said...

What a great lesson! I'm so very proud of you - stay open to whatever God has for you, it will truly be incredible...

Love Ya,
Phillip

Anonymous said...

Hearing the way your mind works and how you were able to look at what happened (even in retrospect)allows me to see you in an entirely different light DB... you're very deep and intensely beautiful in ways I have never even noticed before. I'm glad you're blogging and I can see more of you than I've ever allowed myself to see.

You're wonderful.