Sunday, March 7, 2010

Day 3: The Gratefulness Project

So it turns out that the church I've been going to since I moved home is really into the rodeo. The Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo started last weekend, so this Sunday was deemed "Rodeo Sunday." There was a petting zoo set up, roping demonstrations, cowboys and their horses--all sorts of rodeo themed fun. Oh, and all the music was country. The church has a very good worship band, but I looked upon this morning's prepared set with a dubious stare. However, I was proved wrong. It was so much fun! I mean, I wouldn't like for every song on every Sunday to be all twangy and two-steppy, but it was a good time for one day. It is undeniable that good country and bluegrass music has a certain joy and unimpaired spirit to it that can be infectious.

Therefore, I am grateful for the gift of music. I know that God can reach us in countless ways, and he certainly doesn't need music, but I think he realizes that some of us do need it. There are times that music can take me to a place that words cannot.

I am reminded that I could not enjoy the gift of music without my sense of hearing, so I am all the more grateful that I have ears that work. Without them, I could not hear the violin swell or the banjo wail. I could not hear the sound of my mom's voice or falling rain. It is a true gift to be able to hear.

On a completely separate note, the pastor said something at church today that stuck out to me: "When we're praying for something that will take God's place, his answer will always be no." Wow. Harsh. But true. I think... but then, I'm reminded of Israel crying out for a king, and God's (slow and begrudging) concession. What does that mean? I haven't thought out all of the implications of that statement, whether it is true when weighed against the Bible, and so on, but I found it to be very much worth taking note of.

No comments: