Thursday, March 4, 2010

21 Days of Gratitude: The Gratefulness Project

It happens so quickly. One little thing doesn't go "my way," and I forget that I have so much to be grateful for. To cut myself some slack, there are times that the thing isn't quite so little, but that still does not change the fact that I have much more to be grateful for than I do to be bitter about.

We talked about this a bit in my small group tonight. I tend to expect God to give me good things when I've been "good"; I feel that I deserve them. However, when I've been "bad," I don't ask for God to give me bad things, even though I deserve them. Instead, God has provided an alternative known as grace. He extends grace and mercy whether I'm "good" or "bad," never giving me what I deserve, only his unconditional love. That is so much better than always getting what I deserve (or think I deserve).

Lately, I've been thinking that I deserve a lot of things. And when I don't get them, I am bitter about it. One thing leads to another, and before I know it, I'm not grateful for anything anymore. ICK!!

So I'm going to keep a gratitude journal, and I'm going to keep it here on my blog for you to read. This is partially to keep me accountable. They say it takes at least 21 consistent days to change a habit, so for at least 21 consistent days, I'm going to make a very conscious effort to be grateful. The hope is that this will lead to a way of grateful thinking and behaving that is second nature.

With that, I invite you to read for the next 3 weeks about the things that I am grateful for!

No comments: