Sunday, May 25, 2008

Voy a casarme con Principe Caspian (I am going to marry Prince Caspian)

So I realize that the title of my blog makes no sense to anyone except Emily Jorgenson, and even she is probably wondering why I would choose this phrase as the title. Allow me to explain.

Last weekend, Emily and I tried and failed to go see Prince Caspian twice. It was sold out, even in the middle of the afternoon on the day after it opened! So after we were denied entrance the second time, we bought tickets for the next show, which would begin 3 and 1/2 hours later. Keep in mind that this was on a Saturday afternoon in Abilene, after most of our friends had left town for summer vacation. That means... we had nothing to do.

In Abilene, there are usually about five options:
1.) go to the movies
2.) get coffee
3.) go bowling/roller-skating/or putt-putting (I realize those are three separate things, but let's be honest... they're all pretty much the same thing)
4.) go out to eat
5.) go to church.
Okay, the last one is kind of a joke, but if you've ever spent an extended period of time in Abilene, you know just what I mean. Wow! I know - so many choices. But can you believe it? We weren't in the mood for any of them. And mostly, we were annoyed that our movie had been sold out again.

While we were driving home dejectedly, we passed by Primetime, this "family entertainment center" which is a lot like a Celebration Station, and thus began a ten minute rant about the lack of quality entertainment in Abilene. All Primetime could offer were high-priced activities similar to those listed in #3. Good times were had by all. Then Emily suggested going by Sonic for Happy Hour drinks. We're crazy, I know.

"Great!" I replied. "We could go to the batting cages!" The particular Sonic that we frequent has a sand volleyball court and a few batting cages for the entertainment of customers. I've never used a batting cage. And despite where you think this story may be leading, I still haven't. But Emily and I had a terrific time making jokes about the inevitable humor that would ensue if we did give it a whirl.

"A ball? Flying towards my face at 80 MPH?! Some man must have invented this. Leave it to men!" That is what Emily said her mom would say if she found herself trembling before the machine with bat in hand. I love it.

That day was just so telling of my life right now. Everyday, I wake up with a general plan, and some days it goes as planned, but most of the time, something unexpected happens. Occasionally, these unplanned events come on hard and strong, and the results of many of these experiences have been hugely life-shaping, for which I am thankful. But most of the time, these unexpected adventures are just a short and sweet experience. Like riding around with Emily, with no plan and lots of laughs. I can't wait to see her years from now and laugh about that day.

God is in all things. He is in the big and the small, the exciting and the mundane. Experiencing Him in the exciting is great, but experiencing Him in the mundane is a gift. So I've been training myself to view each day as a day with potential for grand adventures, and like I said, I can't wait to find out what tomorrow has to offer.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Danielle!

It's Kathy - the blog is a GREAT idea! I look forward to reading about your adventures in New York this summer!

Emily said...

Danielle.
This is a wonderful post.

Two things,
1. It is ME who will marry Prince Caspian, you can have Peter or Edward (we can discuss this later).
2. When we get back to Abilene, after we tell each other of our amazing adventures...LET'S GO TO THE BATTING CAGE.

I love you and I can't wait to hear about the return of your luggage and all you have learned. (I typed 'learnt' and realized that was wrong....you're welcome).

THE LORD BLESS YOU AND KEEP YOU! (you know what voice I'm doing, I hope)

I love you Danielle.